HTML and XHTML are two languages in which web pages are written. XHTML is a language driven from HTML which follows XML standards.
The few basic differences between both the languages are:
1. HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language and XHTML stands for HyperText Markup Language.
2. HTML is an application of SGML whereas XHTML is an XML application.
3. HTML is about displaying information whereas XHTML is about describing the information.
4. HTML is a static web page but XHTML pages can be displayed dynamically.
5. XHTML is case sensitive different from HTML.
6. HTML tags can be left opened but XHTML tags must be opened and closed.
7. Unlike HTML, XHTML can run in any browser platform.
8. HTML versions are HTML 2, HTML 3.2, HTML 4.0, HTML 5 and XHTML versions are XHTML 1, XHTML 1.1, XHTML 2, XHTML 5.
9. XHTML is a combination of HTML and XML. It is just the next phase in the evolution of HTML.